Read time: 1 min.
Hi there! Are you a writer?
I don’t care if your masterpiece in the works is a novel, blog post, or caption. Allow me to introduce myself and I’ll explain why you’re in the right place.
My name is Michaela and I’m a journalist, which basically means I’m a professional story collector. It all began at age eight after I wrote a story called The Adventures of Super Dog. It was illustrated with colored pencils and included a whole scene about Super Dog going to the dry cleaner to get his cape cleaned (just keeping it real). I stapled the pages together and decided I’d like to keep writing for the rest of my life. The sequel, The Evil Cat’s Side of the Story, was released shortly after.
Somewhere along the way, writing stories about these iconic characters turned into writing stories about real people and I started pursuing a degree in journalism. My writing adventures took me all over my home in the Midwest, talking to baristas, interior designers, and gourd artists (yes, that’s a real thing). After I got some experience, I headed to an island off the east coast, where I got to interview an actor from a show you may have heard of, called Outer Banks (still doesn’t seem real). I wrote about the legend of a local root doctor, how to photograph the night sky, and 25 different turtle species.
Adventures are the best way to learn, so I’ve picked up a thing or two along the way and I want to share it all with you. Here is what you’ll find on the blog:
- Inspiration from places, art, nature, music, and other authors to get you writing when you don’t know where to start.
- Tips for writing fiction and nonfiction — everything from magazine articles to novels to Instagram captions.
- Advice on getting started if you’re interested in pursuing writing as a career.
- How to improve your writing when you’re not writing.
- Thoughts on building a foundation for your writing by discovering why you write.
So, are you in? I’d love for you to join my adventures as a journalist. Just don’t be surprised if I write about you someday.