I don’t know what it is, but there’s something about getting whisked away in a craft project.
There’s something about taking messy things and haphazardly turning them into something beautiful.
Those carefree days of childhood seem a little bit closer when I’m wrapped up in a project. Those days were marked by creativity — whether we were running mud bakeries in the backyard, planning out doll house floor plans, or rehearsing for magic trick shows.
The ability to be creative is one of the ways in which we are made in the image of our Creator. Being creative is one of those small things that makes me feel alive inside, whether it be painting or taking pictures or arranging flowers around an embroidery hoop.
If you feel the pull of creativity and want to get crafty, or are simply as obsessed as I am with the floral and greenery trends taking over, this is a simple project to take on.
Want to make your own? Here’s how I did it.
Start with an embroidery hoop. Any size will work.You’ll need a glue gun and some floral shears.Picking out the dried or artificial flowers is the fun part. I chose two different leaf stems, an orange flower stem, and a white flower garland.Clip the flowers and leaves off into little pieces with the floral shears.Arrange the flowers before gluing them down. I usually figure out the “focal point” flower cluster and put it 3/4 of the way around the hoop, like the picture below. I chose to only put the orange flowers here so they would stand out. I laid down the green leaves first, then added the orange flowers and finally, the white flowers. Next, arrange the other pieces around the rest of the hoop. It takes a lot of trial and error, but the key is layering.The next part is the trickiest. Pick up one piece at a time and glue it down. Once you’ve gone as far as you want around the hoop, pull off any glue strings.One thing I ran into with this particular wreath was that it was off balance. When I hung it up, it swayed to one side. I solved the problem by cutting off chunks of one of the stems and gluing them on, one at a time. This also took some trial and error to figure out how many it needed and where to put them. Ta-da! The finished wreath.